About Impacts of Engineering
A comprehensive study of the engineering design process from initiation to completion. Definition and history of engineering disciplines with comparisons among them. Investigation and exploration of past and present impacts of engineering on people, society, and the environment. Examination of contemporary and emerging issues related to engineering. Introduction to engineering in practice through engineering design projects.
Successful completion of the course will enable students to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical philosophy of engineering and identify the effects of engineering design decisions throughout history.
- Describe the various engineering disciplines and the differences between them.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the comprehensive nature of engineering design.
- Develop a systems perspective regarding the context of engineering design on a global scale.
- Evaluate the ethical, social, economic, and environmental impacts of engineering during the design, production, and end user phase of a product’s life from multiple perspectives.
- Synthesize ethically, socially, and environmentally conscious design judgments and decisions.
- Evaluate trends and future impacts of environmental and social consciousness and globalization on engineering design and manufacturing from multiple perspectives.
- Demonstrate an experiential understanding of engineering design impacts relevant to the various engineering disciplines.
- Apply basic calculation procedures and computational tools used in engineering.
- Apply the engineering design process and employ it to solve real-world issues.